The list of emergency responder links on this page are provided by ResponderSafety.Com to assist you in accessing information about many aspects of roadway response safety and traffic incident management. Clicking these links will transfer you from ResponderSafety.Com to that site. The content of these sites is solely the responsibility of their authors.
To suggest a site to link for inclusion on this page, please Contact Us.
Additional safety and traffic incident management resources can be found in the Resources section of ResponderSafety.Com.
Agencies and Organizations
- Cumberland Valley Volunteer Firemen's Association CVVFA has provided firefighters and emergency responders with training, leadership, and fraternalism for more than a century.
- Federal Highway Administration Office of Operations The Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Office of Operations provides national leadership for the management and operation of the surface transportation system. The office is responsible for FHWA's efforts in the areas of congestion management, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Deployment* , traffic operations, emergency management, and freight management and operations.
- Fire Corps Fire Corps is one of five partner programs under Citizen Corps, the Federal Emergency Management Agency's grassroots strategy to bring together government and community leaders to involve citizens in all-hazards emergency preparedness and resilience.
- Firefighter Close Calls, Home of the Secret List FirefighterCloseCalls.com was an idea born from The Secret List, an independent newsletter produced since 1998 in an effort to bring forward the issues involving injury and death to firefighters.
- IAFC Safety, Health and Survival Section Mission is to reduce the number of preventable line of duty deaths and injuries in our fire service.
- International Association of Chiefs of Police Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Subcommittee The IACP has established a Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Subcommittee under the direction of the IACP Highway Safety Committee (HSC). The TIM Subcommittee, working with HSC and FHWA, addresses safety, operations, training, and outreach initiatives related to TIM nationally; promotes TIM policies, procedures, and training in the law enforcement community while maximizing the overall effectiveness of TIM strategies and resources; enhances existing TIM programs while providing necessary resources to those jurisdictions new to TIM; and supports relationships and understanding between TIM disciplines.
- International Association of Fire Fighters Emergency Vehicle Safety Program Emergency Vehicle and Roadway Scene Safety Program
- International Safety Equipment Association (ISEA), American National Standards American National Standards Institute/International Safety Equipment Association (ISEA) ANSI/ISEA publishes standards that relate to safety equipment for roadway incident responders, including high visibility safety apparel.
- International Towing and Recovery Museum and Wall of the Fallen Recognizes outstanding individuals in the towing and recovery industry worldwide, records the history of the industry, collects and display industry artifacts and memorabilia through a museum, and provides information about the industry to the general public.
- ISEA News and Publications
- John Petropoulos Memorial Fund Safety initiatives that offer people tangible tips they can implement in their workplaces and on the roads to help ensure emergency responders make it home safely to their families after every shift.
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation The Mission of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation is to honor America’s Fallen Firefighters, assist their survivors, and work to prevent firefighter deaths and injuries. The Foundation also offers training to help fire departments handle a line-of-duty death. With the support of fire and life safety organizations, the Foundation has launched a major initiative to reduce firefighter deaths, Everyone Goes Home®.
- National Fire Protection Association NFPA’s mission is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education. NFPA publishes several standards that relate to professional qualifications and to responder safety when operating on the highway, including NFPA 1500, NFPA 1901, and NFPA 1091.
- National Institute of Justice The National Institute of Justice — the research, development and evaluation agency of the U.S. Department of Justice — is dedicated to improving knowledge and understanding of crime and justice issues through science.
- National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund Dedicated to honoring and remembering the service and sacrifice of law enforcement officers in the United States.
- National Traffic Incident Management Coalition A multi-disciplinary partnership forum spanning the public safety and transportation communities to coordinate experiences, knowledge, practices, and ideas.
- SafeHighways.Org and Safe Highway Matters Newsletter SafeHighways.org and Safe Highway Matters Newsletter are part of the effort to build a nationwide community for all members of state and federal departments of transportation, highway authorities, private operators, academics, and advocates for safe roads.
- The Eastern Transportation Coalition A partnership of transportation agencies and related organizations, from Maine to Florida and in Canada, working together to accelerate improvements in transportation across multiple jurisdictions and throughout all modes.
- The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearing House Dedicated to providing the transportation construction industry and the general public with comprehensive information to improve motorist, worker and pedestrian safety in roadway work zones.
- Towing and Recovery Association of America The umbrella trade group and national voice of the towing and recovery industry, representing the interests of the towing and recovery industry on Capitol Hill and producing an array of educational products supporting professionalism in towing and recovery and in business management.
- Traffic Incident Management Enhancement Task Force of Georgia Mission is to “develop and sustain a region-wide incident management program to facilitate the safest and fastest roadway clearance, lessening the impact on emergency responders and the motoring public.”
- Volunteer Fire Police Association of New York VFPASNY’s mission is to advance the status of volunteer Fire Police in the State of New York, while upholding and defending the constitutions of the United States of America and the State of New York.
- NIOSH FACE LODD Report: School Crossing Guard Struck and Killed by a Sport Utility Vehicle NIOSH report on the struck by death of a crossing guard while standing in the street attempting to stop traffic, including investigative findings and recommendations.
- NIOSH Report 99F-27 - August 5, 1999 Incident in Oklahoma 2 career firefighters were struck on an interstate; one was killed.
- NIOSH Report 99F-38 - September 27, 1999 Incident in South Carolina Firefighter dies after being struck by a tractor trailer truck.
- NIOSH Report F2001-07 - Jan 9, 2001 A volunteer fire fighter died after being struck by a motor vehicle while directing traffic - New York.
- NIOSH Report F2002-13 - Mar 20, 2002 Volunteer fire fighter dies after being struck by motor vehicle on interstate highway - Mississippi.
- NIOSH Report F2002-18 - Apr 11, 2002 Incident in Kansas Fire chief dies after being struck by a fire truck at a motor-vehicle incident.
- NIOSH Report F2002-35 - Jun 08, 2002 Incident in Florida Off-duty career fire fighter dies and another fire fighter is injured after being struck by a truck.
- NIOSH Report F2002-36 - Aug 12, 2002 Volunteer fire fighter dies after being run over by brush truck during grass fire attack - Texas.
- NIOSH Report F2002-38 - Jul 01, 2002 Incident in Minnesota Fire captain killed, two fire fighters and police officer injured when struck by a motor vehicle.
- NIOSH Report F2003-13 - Mar 18, 2003 Incident in Texas Firefighter killed while walking across an Interstate highway.
- NIOSH Report F2003-16 - Feb 23, 2003 Incident in New Jersey Fire police captain dies from injury-related complications after being struck by motor vehicle.
- NIOSH Report F2003-37 - Oct 27, 2003 Incident in Minnesota Assistant chief is struck and killed at road construction site.
- NIOSH Report F2005-01 - Aug 14, 2004 Career fire fighter dies after falling from tailboard and being backed over by engine - California.
- NIOSH Report F2007-26 – July 27, 2007 Incident in Illinois Fire fighter dies when struck by a bus while working along an interstate highway.
- NIOSH Report F2008-17 - Jun 14, 2008 Volunteer assistant chief killed when struck by tractor-trailer while operating at a motor vehicle crash - North Carolina.
- NIOSH Report F2009-03 - Dec 17, 2008 Volunteer fire fighter sitting in his parked vehicle warning oncoming traffic of a motor vehicle incident was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer - Montana.
- NIOSH Report F2009-10 - Jan 2, 2009 Career fire fighter dies when backed over while spotting an apparatus - New Jersey.
- NIOSH Report F2010-06 - Feb 12, 2010 Incident in Pennsylvania Fire police captain dies after being struck by a motor vehicle at a controlled roadway.
- NIOSH Report F2010-36 – November 13, 2010 Incident in South Carolina Fire fighter killed, another seriously injured when struck by a vehicle at grass fire along interstate.
- NIOSH Report F2011-23 – September 18, 2011 Incident in Iowa Fire fighter struck and killed while directing traffic at an interstate highway incident.
- NIOSH Report F2012-07 - Feb 29, 2012 Career fire captain dies when struck by a pickup truck while working at the scene of two traffic incidents - California.
- NIOSH Report F2012-09 - Mar 19, 2012 Career fire captain killed, fire fighter and police officer injured at the scene of a motor vehicle crash - Arkansas.
- NIOSH Report F2012-31 - Dec 2, 2012 Volunteer fire fighter struck and killed by backing fire apparatus at rural brush and structure fire - Illinois.
- NIOSH Report F2013-05 - Mar 5, 2013 Volunteer fire fighter killed when struck while operating at scene of multiple vehicle crash on interstate highway - Illinois.
- NIOSH Report F2013-06 - Mar 28, 2013 Forest fire service fire fighter monitoring prescribed burn from roadway is struck and killed when smoke obscures visibility following a wind shift - New Jersey.
- NIOSH Report F2013-12 - Apr 27, 2013 Volunteer fire chief struck and killed on interstate highway while directing traffic - Pennsylvania.
- NIOSH Report F2014-06 - Feb 10, 2014 Career fire fighter struck and killed while working a crash scene on ice covered interstate overpass - Texas.
- NIOSH Report F2016-16 - Jul 23, 2016 Volunteer fire fighter struck and killed by tanker backing into the bay of the fire station - Pennsylvania.
- NIOSH Report F2017-10 - Mar 15, 2017 Two fire fighters die and one fire fighter injured when struck at a roadway incident - Mississippi.
- NIOSH Report F2019-19 - Oct 15, 2019 While maneuvering outside his apparatus, firefighter falls into roadway and is struck and killed by a delivery van - Texas.
- American Towman The online home of American Towman magazine.
- Tow Times Online Tow Times is a monthly magazine dedicated to helping towing company owners and managers throughout the United States, Canada and around the world run a more successful towing business.
Programs and Initiatives
- Everyone Goes Home® A national program from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation to prevent line-of-duty deaths and injuries.
- Federal Highway Administration Traffic Incident Management Emergency Transportation Operations Traffic Incident Management Program TIM consists of a planned and coordinated multi-disciplinary process to detect, respond to, and clear traffic incidents so that traffic flow may be restored as safely and quickly as possible. The TIM Program of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), which provides many resources on this page, is part of a larger all-hazards program called Emergency Transportation Operations (ETO).
- IAFF Emergency Vehicle Safety Program "Best Practices for Emergency Vehicle and Roadway Operations Safety Guide" was released by USFA in partnership with IAFF as part of an initiative to improve emergency vehicle and roadway operations safety for firefighters and law enforcement officers.
- Life Safety Initiatives This website is dedicated to information and research all directly supporting the 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.
- NIOSH Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program NIOSH conducts independent investigations of fire fighter line of duty deaths. This web page provides access to NIOSH investigation reports and other fire fighter safety resources.
- NIOSH Safety and Health Topic: Highway Work Zone Safety This page from the Centers for Disease Control web site provides information, publications, research, press releases, events, and web sites related to highway work zone safety.
- Respondersafety.com YouTube Channel The YouTube channel for ResponderSafety.Com includes training videos and PSAs.
- Safe and Effective Use of Law Enforcement Personnel in Work Zones FHWA-developed course that provides law enforcement agencies and personnel with practices and procedures to improve safety in work zones.
- The Eastern Transportation Coalition Resources A searchable clearinghouse of information on incident management.
- The National Fire Fighter Near-Miss Reporting System A voluntary, confidential, non-punitive and secure reporting system with the goal of improving fire fighter safety.
- The TIM Network The TIM Network, from the National Traffic Incident Management Coalition (NTIMC), connects TIM Professionals (especially those from different disciplines), to each other, provide a method for TIM Professionals to escalate issues and provide a way for the NTIMC to validate suggested practices.
- TOW411.Net Online forum for towers by towers.
- Traffic Officer Safety Subcommittee The Traffic Officer Safety Subcommittee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police is tasked to improve the environment in which officers operate. The Traffic Officers Safety Subcommittee explores better ways to ensure officer safety during traffic stops and other roadside contacts.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries The Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities (IIF) program provides annual information on the rate and number of work related injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries, and how these statistics vary by incident, industry, geography, occupation, and other characteristics.
- United States Fire Administration Emergency Vehicle and Roadway Operations Safety Resources on emergency vehicle safety and roadway operations safety compiled by the U.S. Fire Administration.
Toolkits and Exercises
- FHWA Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Outreach Toolkit This page is a compilation of resources to assist TIM programs in promoting their message and teaching the general public about the value of TIM and how they can participate.
- Maintenance of Traffic for Incident Responders in Florida This course, developed by the Florida Department of Transportation, provides training for incident responders on the proper use of Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) at traffic incident scenes.
Please see Resources > Training for additional materials.